If you want to achieve SEO success by following a location based strategy, maximising your Google My Business is a great place to start. It’s a free tool that helps business owners manage their online presence across Google and its growing portfolio of utilities. Be warned, Google My Business does not replace your website, it compliments it.
It offers the greatest impact for brands seeking local exposure; a clear majority of organic searches come from Google. In fact, around Google holds 90 percent of worldwide search engine market share.
Handy Features to help you maximise your Google My Business
A few of the handy features we’ve come across on it are:
- Google Local Search – This gives you a list of businesses that are nearby and lots of information on them including address, business hours, category and reviews. The info helps readers to choose which business they will visit. So the more information you have on your GMB profile, the more likely it is for you to gain new customers.
- Google’s Knowledge Graph – Utilizes verified Google My Business information to help generate details for its database about businesses that are relevant to specific searches. And it’s constantly adding to your GMB profile!
- Google Maps – When a GMB listing is made, Maps synchronises with Google search which means easy access and searchability.
- Insights – Google has designed a tool to help businesses understand how our customers are engaging with your listing. It gives you info on how customers find your listing, where customers find you, customer actions, direction requests, phone calls and photos.
5. Messaging – customers can send you text messages. This is a great way to connect directly with people interested in what you have to offer. It’s also a fab way to engage with people looking at your Google My Business listing. Get the Allo app if you want to keep your personal number and work separate.
Can’t find your business on GMB?
You may find that your business doesn’t appear for relevant searches in your area. If this happens, don’t panic. Google themselves have provided a checklist to follow, to maximise your Google My Business and increase how often customers see your business in local search results.
- Verify your location. This gives you the best opportunity to appear for users across Google products.
- Enter complete data. Fill in as much information about your business as possible and always update your profile when anything changes.
- Add photos. Putting photos of your business on your profile allows viewers to see what you do and can help you to illustrate the story of your business.
If you haven’t created a Google My Business profile – do it. And if you have, keep updating it! It’s the gift that keeps giving and could bring your business’ exposure on leaps and bounds.
Check out some of our other blog posts: